Customers experience success when supported by a team engaged in purposeful work.
It was the second time in many years that I was in town to participate in the entertaining, funny and uplifting Annual Awards at Chillibreeze. What stands out, and this year was no exception, is hearing the theme of purposeful work ring out in story after story.
This theme didn’t happen by accident – it is at the core of who we are as a company. The second sentence of the Chillibreeze mission statement says,
Through the diligent work of a healthy company we are transforming lives, creating wealth, providing purpose and adding value to customers, employees, families and community.
Chillibreeze wasn’t always this way. If you were to take a walk through our office you would notice old posters on the walls. One says Pioneering Solutions to Global Problems. These posters hint at the core of Chillibreeze. At the heart is a spirit of doing something that matters. Chillibreeze is solving the problem of lack of professional jobs in a talent rich city. It requires digging deep and solving a problem others are not willing to tackle. It means taking risks to do something that makes a difference to an individual’s life. Today, purposeful work is experienced every day at Chillibreeze and our customers benefit from the care they receive with each PowerPoint work request.
In 2004 before Chillibreeze launched in Shillong, my husband, 5 year old daughter, and I visited this hill-top city. It was an exploratory trip to discover the feasibility and potential of starting a business in Shillong, a tier 3 city with high unemployment, yet abundant with college graduates. Many friends advised us not to go. They said Northeast India is too dangerous. Once we arrived in Shillong we felt safe. People seemed sincere but many didn’t provide us much hope that a company would succeed.
One day my husband, Ralph Budelman, visited Saint Anthony’s College without an appointment. A student noticed him wondering around the campus and brought him to meet the Father. Ralph told the Priest our vision of starting a company that would create professional jobs for students like his. He was a nice man from South India and he gave us the impression that a good company was needed. It would fill a gap for the unemployed youth. After talking in his office, he spontaneously gathered about 35 students into a small auditorium so Ralph could share our vision and listen to the students. They were smart and enthusiastic. He heard their dreams. He discovered how few private sector jobs existed in Shillong. They wanted jobs and opportunities and spoke with hope in their eyes. They wanted a local company. I think they hoped for a brighter future – we did too. Ralph was inspired! From this moment, he began to see the future of Chillibreeze. He knew there was unrealized potential that needed to be released. Proving the Potential of Northeast India is another poster on the office wall.
Ralph was inspired! From this moment, he began to see the future of Chillibreeze. He knew there was unrealized potential that needed to be released.
I doubt that to this day, the Father at Saint Anthony’s College knows the importance of what he did. He played a part in why Chillibreeze started in Shillong. He took a risk by letting Ralph talk to students. We believe he did it because he wanted the best for them.
Sometimes we wonder if any of those 35 students knew what happened with that American businessman’s vision to start a local company. They may never know how their eyes sparkled with hope and how that motivated Ralph to take a risk, move our family to Northeast India, and do something that others may not have been willing to do.
Since that day in 2004 Chillibreeze has been striving to bring out the best in people. We do this through the transforming power of work backed by strong values. The culture is designed to help CBers be the best they can be through: Coaching, Leadership Training, and Monthly Reviews. We don’t want anyone to join Chillibreeze and stagnant and waste their potential. Instead everyone is challenged to thrive, create, enjoy, mature, and fully utilize their skills and talents. Today, through the diligent work of a healthy company we are transforming lives.
18 Ways Purposeful Work Impacts Lives and Touches Our Customers:
1. Working for a healthy profitable company benefits you and others.
2. Work is important. Quality, faithful, diligent, honest work is something that has value in itself and should be perceived as a privilege and opportunity. It is not just a means to an end, but benefits many.
3. Work helps you earn money to support
4. Our customers depend on good quality reliable work executed with care.
5. Work allows you to be generous.
6. People crave to be productive. Unemployed people don't feel satisfied with their life.
7. Becoming competent at work is fulfilling and
8. Work builds character.
9. Work provides an opportunity to build up others.
10. Work is fun.
11. Making customers happy, building relationships with co-workers, gaining new skills, accomplishing, winning, and creating make work fun and satisfying.
12. In a healthy profitable company, you will be able to go beyond what you think you are capable of accomplishing. You will become the best you can be. Without responsibilities, this would not be possible.
13. Work accelerates learning and growth. The pressure of work forces you to learn.
14. Work keeps you sharp. It keeps your mind working.
15. Work teaches responsibility. If you are not responsible, you are not valuable to a company.
16. Work teaches you the value of time.
17. Work helps you accomplish things that
18. A healthy society looks up to people with a job.
Understanding the value of work is at the core of Chillibreeze.
These are some of the work acumen lived out at Chillibreeze every day. With deeper understanding and with the right perspective on work CBers are able to:
- see beyond the immediate and feel satisfied with the long-term benefits of work
- persevere knowing that pressure and hard work create growth.
- be grateful they are working.
- clearly explain to their parents the many benefits of work.
- withstand the peer pressure of those that don’t have a clear perspective of work.
- be joyful and content even when doing difficult tasks.
Today we are known for being the best company to work for in Shillong. Before anyone joins Chillibreeze, they know that hard work is one clear expectation. With the right perspective on work CBers are satisfied with the task they are given knowing that it is adding to a larger purpose: Our Vision.